Yakama Nation Human Resources Department
Office of Public Defenders
Department of Justice Services
Hourly Wage: $33.37/Regular/Full-Time
Employee serves as attorney for the Yakama Nation Public Defender Office and is responsible for providing professional legal representation and advice to Tribal member clients in Tribal, State and Federal Court systems or administrative agencies as assigned by the Lead Attorney Program Manager. Employee is responsible for providing a full range of legal services to Tribal members in areas of criminal, dependency, children’s court, fish and game, civil, family and Federal Indian Law matters, as assigned by the Lead Attorney Program Manager. Services include, legal research, evaluation of potential cases, analysis and preparation of accepted cases, motions, hearings, trials and appeals. The attorney may be appointed by the court(s) as a Guardian Ad Litem in custody matters.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of standard court procedures, evidence rules, and application of legal principles relative to practicing law.
- Knowledge of Tribal laws, Tribal regulations, and Tribal government organization.
- Knowledge of applicable Federal/State laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of Yakama Tribal traditions and customs as they may pertain to Tribal Court practices.
- Knowledge of law library research methods and techniques to interpret and explain applicable constitutional provisions, statutes, regulations, case law and precedents.
- Ability to maintain close working relationships.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in written form.
- Ability to gain and maintain confidence of clients and professional staff of the Court(s) and other legal systems.
- Ability to be culturally sensitive to traditions and customs of the Yakama Nation.
- Ability to work under stress, independently handle hostile situations and sensitive information in a professional manner.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
Click here for full job description.
Click here to download Yakama Nation Application.