Job Title: Court Clerk
Closing Date: 11/17/2014
Job Number: 15-069
Job Type: Regular Full Time
Department: Judicial Department
Location: Tribal Courts – Admin., 693 W. Seed Farm Rd., Sacaton, AZ
Area of Interest: Judicial
Salary Type: Depending on Experience
Salary/ Hourly Rate: $17.53 Hourly
Tribal Driving Permit Required: Yes
• Medical – EPO or PPO Self-Funded Plan utilizing Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona Network
• Prescription Program
• Dental – Plan is provided through CIGNA with no deductible for preventive services or $50 (individual)/$150 (family) deductible for basic and major services
• Vision – plan benefits are provided through SightCare of Arizona and carry a $10 co-pay for exams, zero co-pay
• Life and AD&D – Basic, dependent, and/or voluntary benefits provided through CIGNA Group Insurance. GRIC pays the full cost for your basic Life and AD&D
Other Voluntary Benefits –
• Aflac offers various supplemental benefit plans
• Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
• Short Term Disability
• Long Term Disability
• Employee Assistance Program
• 12 Paid Holidays
• Vacation Leave
• Sick Leave
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
The Court Clerk provides administrative and technical support to the courts by receiving, preparing and processing documents; maintaining databases and files/records; receiving and recording payments. This position interacts, assists the public, maintains a case load, and coordinates with the Judge on scheduling and courtroom management.
• Performs various routine clerical duties, utilizes standard office equipment; screening incoming calls, taking and transmitting messages, maintaining databases and a variety of records, data entry and processing documents.
• Review legal documents for accuracy and completeness and enter legal documents into automated or manual case management system; marking and maintaining exhibits.
• Records and transcribes dictation of court proceedings; summarizes and types court proceedings in minute entry form.
• Respond to complex inquiries from subordinates, judges, attorneys, and the public.
• Researches case files to extract and provide information; preparing and processing formal orders, compiling statistics, preparing ledgers for child support and restitution.
• Post debits and credits to journals; and balancing simple accounts.
• Maintain calendars of hearings, trials and arraignments; schedule jury trials, issue jury summons and subpoenas; and issue jail releases, warrants and confidential orders.
• Issues of orders of protection, jail releases, warrants, confidential orders and appellate process.
• Calls court to order in the absence of the Bailiff; administering oath and processing of documents.
• Assists in calling/directing jurors to report for jury duty.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY:
• Knowledge of legal terminology, statutes and court procedures.
• Knowledge of court procedures and automated court case management systems.
• Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, and equipment; emphasis on word processing, data entry, computer software and electronic mail.
• Knowledge of procedures, guidelines, and statutory requirements that govern duties of courtroom clerks.
• Ability to take and transcribe dictation.
• Ability to provide effective customer service.
• Ability to work independently, undertake multiple assignments and handle a high volume case load.
• Ability to observe the confidential nature of court records and proceedings.
• Ability to interact with individuals with a range of moods, attitudes and behaviors.
• Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing; also prepare clear, concise and accurate documents.
• Ability to interpret, explain and apply policies, rules and procedures.
• Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other employees, Community Officials and the general public.
• Ability to perform all physical requirements of the position; agree to maintain a Drug-free workplace.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
High School diploma or GED and a minimum of two (2) years of court clerk or legal environment experience. Prefer court clerk experience.
Pass background check as a condition of employment.
Must pass written test as a condition of employment.
Subject to review as to conflicts of interest and shall abide by the Code of Ethics for Judicial Employees.
Valid state driver’s license with a current proof of driving record for the past 39 months will be required to qualify for a tribal driving permit. Proof of driving record must be submitted with application.
Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified Indian candidates in accordance with the Indian Preference Act (Title 25, U.S. Code, Section 472 and 473). The Gila River Indian Community is also committed to achieving the full and equal opportunity without discrimination because of Race, Religion, Color, Sex, National Origin, Politics, Marital Status, Physical Handicap, Age or Sexual Orientation. In other than the above, the Gila River Indian Community is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are claiming Preference in one or more of the following categories please attach a copy of the required documentation to the completed Employment Application.
Preference for Community Members (with proof of enrollment)
Preference for Native Americans (must meet membership requirement of a federally recognized Tribe.)
Preference point for Spouse of Community Member (with proof of spouse enrollment)
Preference point for Veteran (must meet statutory requirements)
DEADLINE: Employment Applications are available at all District Service Centers, the Human Resources Department, and online at www.gilariver.org. All Employment Applications and copies of required documents, i.e., Transcripts, Certificates, diploma and Motor Vehicle Record, must be received in the Human Resources Department by 5:00 pm on the closing date. Late Applications or documents will not be considered.
HUMAN RESOURCES WILL NOT MAKE COPIES OF APPLICATIONS OR DOCUMENTS BEING SUBMITTED.
To avoid delays, application can be mailed or faxed to:
Gila River Indian Community
Human Resources Department
Post Office Box 97
Sacaton, Arizona 85147
Fax: (520) 562-9809
CLICK HERE FOR APPLICATION
If a Tribal Driving Permit is required on this posting, please provide a current 39 month Motor Vehicle Report (mvr) and it must not be over 60 days old. Please refer to www.servicearizona.com to obtain a Motor Vehicle Report.
If you have any questions, please contact the Human Resources Department @ 520-562-9808. Thank you for your interest with the Gila River Indian Community.