Department: Tribal Court
Reports To: Chief Judge
Hours: Full Time – 40 Hrs/Wk
Salary: Based on Compensation Matrix + Benefits
Under the general direction of the Chief Judge, this position is responsible for researching and analyzing intricate, complex and sensitive legal issues and questions for the Tribal Court Judges.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Performs legal research, analysis and writing in such matters as statutes, recorded judicial decisions, legal articles, treaties, constitutions and legal codes.
2. Assists in drafting opinions, concurrences and dissents, orders, calendar notices and decisions.
3. Examines or prepares legal documents such as briefs, pleadings, appeals, and case records and other legal documents.
4. Confers with the judge on pending matters.
5. Observes judicial proceedings, attends conferences with attorneys and judges.
6. Acts as arbitrator and liaison between disputing parties and mediates small claims cases and summarizes information for the Judge.
7. Prepares the courtroom for the day’s cases.
8. Assures that all parties involved in the day’s proceedings are present.
9. Maintains order in the courtroom at all times during the sessions of the court.
10. Maintains integrity of the jury and insures that no outside person makes any communication while they are deliberating.
11. Escorts jurors and witnesses to and from the courtroom. Tends to the needs of the jury, answers all non-legal questions and provides all possible assistance.
12. Contacts, by telephone, all those required in the court session, such as attorneys and witnesses. Calls jurors, by telephone, to appear for jury duty at the next day’s session.
13. Acts as law librarian, keeping and monitoring legal volumes and ensuring legal volumes are up-to-date.
14. Performs other duties as assigned.
How To Apply:
Submit application and resume postmarked by the closing date to:
Human Resource Department
Puyallup Tribe of Indians
3009 East Portland Avenue
Tacoma, WA 98404
Note: Applications & copies of job announcements available at Rm. # 157 or online at www.puyallup-tribe.com
Download full job description here.