Another paper by Professor Robert J. Miller was recently added to Social Science Research Network (SSRN) – American Indian Constitutions And Their Influence On The United States Constitution.
Lunch Lecture with Professor Ferguson-Bohnee – March 24 (12:15pm)
Food will be reserved to those who RSVP to ILP@asu.edu. We hope you will join us!
Staff Attorney, Indian Law Practice Group – Montana Legal Services Association
Position Type: Attorney
|This full-time Staff Attorney position will provide poverty law services to Native American clients, primarily on the Northern Cheyenne and Crow Reservations. Services provided will range from brief counsel and advice, to more extended legal representation. Position will require regular travel to the reservations being served, and occasional travel throughout Montana. This position will handle all aspects of legal representation including client contact, pleading preparation, research, file maintenance, and hearing and trial work. The staff attorney will also participate in MLSA’s statewide initiatives, implement grant and contract requirements through casework and other activities, and foster pro bono involvement with the private bar.
• Interviewing, meeting with, advising, and representing eligible clients on civil matters. • Developing and maintaining specialized knowledge of the legal needs of Native American clients, and of general poverty law issues.
• Providing legal services to clients ranging from brief counsel and advice, to more extended representation on core legal issues affecting MLSA clients.
• As needed, providing legal representation to clients in criminal matters in Tribal Court. • Composing correspondence, pleadings and other documents.
• Researching the law and preparing memoranda.
• Working with other MLSA staff to recruit, train and support pro bono attorneys when appropriate.
• Participating in MLSA’s statewide initiatives and impact work, and implementing grant and contract requirements through casework.
• Other duties as assigned by the Supervising Attorney or MLSA Management. Requirements
• Law Degree and current license to practice law in Montana, or willingness to become licensed.
• License to practice in the Crow and Northern Cheyenne Tribal Courts, or willingness to become licensed.
• Prior legal services experience preferred, particularly experience working with Native American clients.
• A willingness to assume a varied case load.
• An understanding of the civil legal needs of low-income people, including the unique needs of populations that experience particular barriers to access to justice systems.
• Knowledge of substantive legal areas affecting low income people.
• Ability to effectively communicate, to motivate others, and to work collaboratively with diverse groups of people with varying perspectives, and experience and expertise.
• Ability and willingness to learn and integrate new technologies and methodologies to efficiently perform responsibilities.
• A willingness to establish and maintain effective relationships with clients, the public, judges, court personnel and the bar.
• Ability and willingness to work cooperatively and collegially within a decentralized statewide law firm.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Ability to work independently in a deadline-oriented environment.
• A “can do” attitude and a willingness to pitch in where needed.
• Strong commitment to insuring equal access to justice.
• Proficient at the use of technology, including, but not limited to, word processing, spreadsheets, internet-based programs and computer-based legal research.
• Ability to travel within the state of Montana, occasionally overnight. The Montana Legal Services Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Expiration Date: April 1, 2016
Contact: Krista Partridge
616 Helena Ave. Suite 100 Helena, Montana 59601
How To Apply: Send a letter of interest, three professional references, writing sample, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional Documents: Cover Letter, Writing Sample, Other Documents
Requested Document Notes: Send a letter of interest, three professional references, writing sample, and resume to email@example.com. Submission Deadline: Screening of applicants will begin on March 18, 2016 and the position will remain open until filled.