Department of the Interior
Office of the Solicitor
This position is in the excepted service and not subject to competitive service procedures.
Merit promotion procedures do not apply.
This vacancy may be used to fill additional positions as vacancies become available.
As an Attorney-Adviser with the Department of the Interior, Office of the Solicitor, Intermountain region, Phoenix Field Office, located in Phoenix, AZyour specific duties will include:
- Providing advice on and legal services for matters pertaining to the various agencies within the Department of the Interior, primarily for, but not limited to, the Bureau of Land Management and the Bureau of Reclamation.
- Providing advice and legal services on the topics of public lands management and western water law relating to laws and regulations of general applicability to Federal agencies, such as the Federal Land Management and Policy Act, National Environmental Policy Act, Endangered Species Act, Migratory Bird Treaty Act, National Reclamation Act, and other relevant federal laws.
- Providing litigation support on behalf of the Secretary of the Interior and various Interior agencies, including the Bureau of Land Management and the Bureau of Reclamation, to the Department of Justice and practicing before the Interior Board of Land Appeals.
- Involves knowledge of water law; public lands law; federal and state litigation procedure; the federal Indian trust responsibility and statutes relating to interactions between the federal government and Tribes; federal environmental laws; real property laws; contracts, financial assistance, and cooperative agreements.
- Requires the ability to analyze legal requirements and succinctly provide advice and counsel to technical/non-legal professionals; and the ability to interact and negotiate with outside entities, including Tribes, States, and local governmental entities, regarding contracts, agreements, and other matters.
For full job description and to apply, go to Job Posting.