Office of the Tribal Attorney
Salary: $128,835.20 – Negotiable DOE
Under the general supervision of the Yurok Tribal Council, the General Counsel will assist the Yurok Tribal Council and Tribal Departments in the legal matters related to the business of the Yurok Tribe. Incumbent will be responsible for planning, organizing, directing, and controlling all activities of the Office of the Tribal Attorney. The General Counsel will ensure the efficient and economical use of the resources of the department, including budgeted funds, grant monies, personnel, facilities, and time, to accomplish short-term and long-range objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform legal research including extensive analysis of legal positions. Determine and apply legal principles and precedents to problems and issues.
- Provides legal advice, counsel and assistance to the Tribal Council and departments in relation to their duties and the operation of the Tribe and its programs in compliance with the Constitution, laws, and policies of the Yurok Tribe.
- Negotiates Federal and State contracts.
- Provides opinions concerning personnel policies and procedures.
- Provides legal advice related to employment classification and dispute resolution.
- Drafts appropriate ordinances and policies that assist in the implementation of the Tribe’s Self-Governance objectives.
- Represents the Tribe in Indian Child Welfare cases as needed.
- Provides opinions on, drafts documents and policies, and attends meetings concerning regulatory and environmental matters.
- Reviews and approves contracts entered into by the Tribe.
- Prepares legal briefs, develops strategy, arguments, and testimony in preparation for presentation of a case.
- Manages all outside legal counsel.
- Promotes tribal sovereignty in alignment with the Constitution and laws of the Yurok Tribe.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Review full job description: 2023 General Counsel
Apply at: www.yuroktribe.org/jobs