Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation
Nixyaawii Governance Center
Closing Date: March 10, 2017
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: (lt is the responsibility of the applicant to demonstrate in writing he/she does meet the following minimum qualifications.)
1. Bar admission to practice before the Oregon State Bar, in good standing, or ability to attain reciprocal admission within 6 months of hire and subsequent admission to the Federal District Court of Oregon. Required to protect client communications and client confidences in compliance with the Oregon Rules of Professional Conduct.
2. Experience, three years related to the protection of reserved treaty rights of a federally recognized tribe.
3. Complex litigation experience before federal courts representing a federally recognized tribe.
4. In depth knowledge of the milestones, current status and implications for CTUIR interests in US v Oregon, US v Washington and National l4tildlife Federation v National Marine Fisheries Service (the Federal Columbia River Power System), NEPA, ESA, Columbia River Treaty;
5. Demonstrated legal practice and legislative experience involving federal Indian law and policy, with professional accomplishments advancing tribal civil/criminal jurisdiction, contracting, immunity, government-to- government relations and tribal trustee relations. 6. Must have strong and strategic communication skills that produce concise reports, memoranda, presentations, recommendations, and correspondence. Must have experience educating commissions, agencies, staff, and laypersons on issues of complex law in a manner that supports informed decision making.
7. Candidate must show success in extensive coordination of complex projects that required research, strategic advising and negotiations within defined timelines that achieved tribal objectives.
8. Must work well with an entity client. Worplace relations require afforney to work professionally and collaboratively, as a team member with various staff roles, commissions and committees and elected officials within the organization and with external entities affecting CTUIR interests.
9. Must be willing to be trained and obtain working knowledge using Microsoft Office software and Adobe. Be willing to able to navigate legal research software such as Westlaw and agency internet and intranet resources.
10. Must have a valid state driver’s license, reliable transportation, and meet Tribal insurance requirements.
Download full job description here: Tribal Attorney