Open until filled
Under the supervision of the Legal Department Director, attorney will serve as a member of the Tribe’s Legal Department, with principal responsibility for representing the Tribe on water matters. Where time allows, the attorney will represent the Tribe in other matters that require the Legal Department’s attention, including code review and drafting, litigation, contract review,
and employment matters.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Evaluates potential opportunities and threats associated with the Tribe’s water rights
- Stays abreast of State and Federal water law changes, informing necessary legal and
Tribal staff and recommending action when needed.
- Advocates and lobbies, individually and with the Tribe’s lobbyists, on State and Federal
water policy and legislation that impacts tribal water.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Must have graduated from an accredited law school.
• Must be licensed to practice law in one or more state jurisdictions.
• Must have at least 5 years of experience practicing water law as an attorney.
• Must have working knowledge of federal Indian water rights and how they interact with
• Must have working knowledge of Colorado water law and Law of the Colorado River.
How to Apply: