Southern Ute Indian Tribe
Closing Date: 9/03/2019 (5pm MST)
Job Summary: Under the supervision of the Legal Department Director, attorney will serve as a member of the Tribe’s Legal Department, with principal responsibility for the effective, efficient, and fair prosecution of violations of the Tribal Code to include criminal, gaming, and wildlife cases. In addition, the attorney will represent the Tribe in other matters that require the Legal Department’s attention, including code review and drafting, civil litigation, contract review, employment matters, and the consideration of social services cases.
Education and Experience
- Must have a law degree from an American Bar Association accredited law school.
- Must be licensed to practice law in the State of Colorado and be in good standing with the Colorado Supreme Court or eligible to waive in to admission in that State within a year of hiring.
- Must have 2 years of criminal law experience with actual trial experience.
- Must have general knowledge of Tribal jurisdiction and Indian Law.
- Must have an understanding of legal reference resources, research techniques, practices and procedures used to prepare and present an effective prosecutory case in court or administrative proceedings.
- Must be able to respond to emergencies on a 24-hour on-call basis.
- Must have a demonstrated record of reliability and professionalism.
- Must have a valid Driver’s License for state of residency and be insurable through the Tribal Vehicle Insurance policy.
- Must pass a thorough background check including professional references, criminal history, fingerprint check, and pre-employment drug test.
- Understanding of programs to which respondents may be assigned because of involuntary commitment proceedings.
- Experience in Tribal court.Experience with Juvenile Court and Children’s Court Proceedings.
Click here to submit application.