Colorado River Indian Tribles
26600 Mohave Road
Position: Director of Legal Aid (Exempt)
Reports To: Tribal Chairman
Closing Date: May 2, 2018 @ 5:00PM
Duties & Functions:
1. The Legal Aid Department only serves C.R.I.T. enrolled community members in civil matters. Persons who are eligible for enrollment with C.R.I.T. are also eligible for services.
2. Client Contact Duties:
- Ongoing contact with clients in all of the open files.
- Client visitation with in-custody clients may be required; while the Legal Aid Department handles only civil cases, there may be civil matters to be completed on behalf of clients who may be in-custody in separate criminal cases.
3. Attorney Duties:
- Client representation consistent with the ethical rules governing attorneys,
- Type out routine pleadings, letters, contracts, agreements, and other legal documents,
- Legal Research & Writing; familiarity with Westlaw.
- Photocopying, faxing, and scanning documents.
- Filing of pleadings and appearance in Tribal Court, Superior Court, Justice Courts, City Courts, as required; some State-court appearances may be necessary, which is why admission to the State Bar of Arizona is preferable,
- Appearing in Court on behalf of a client; conducting evidentiary hearings; conducting trials; conducting appeals,
- Advising clients on the best course of action to take in order to accomplish client goals.
- Being mindful that sometimes litigation is not the best first course to take and that negotiating a mutually-agreeable outcome between our clients and the opposition may yield better results.
- Making final determinations on whether a conflict of interest exists in the representation of a prospective client,
- Case assignment to other attorneys or advocates employed by the Legal Aid Department.
Required Skills and Abilities:
1. Litigation experience is desired, particularly jury trial experience.
2. The ideal candidate should have desires for helping all C.R.I.T. Enrolled community
members resolve civil legal issues; and desire to assist indigent persons.
3. The ideal candidate should have the following skills:
- Familiarity with Word Perfect and Microsoft Office software,
- Excellent typing skills, including spelling and grammar,
- Excellent computer skills,
- Excellent online research skills,
- Westlaw legal research skills.
- The ability to communicate effectively and respectfully with clients,
- The ability to communicate effectively and respectfully with staff,
- Familiarity with legal pleadings and documents,
- Basic accounting skills,
- Knowledge of office procedures,
- The ability to work as a team or on an individual basis,
- Strong self-motivation and the ability to motivate others.
For Employment Application visit: http://crit-nsn.gov
Submit completed application to: CRIT Human Resource Department
26600 Mohave Road
Parker, Arizona 85344
For full job announcement, click here: #85-18 Director of Legal Aid – Legal Aid (1)