Pechanga Indian Reservation
Temecula Band of Luiseno Mission Indians
SUMMARY: The Associate General Counsel will work in the Pechanga Office of the General Counsel under the direct supervision of the General Counsel for the Pechanga Band of Luiseno Indians. The Associate General Counsel will work with the General Counsel and Deputy General Counsel to provide legal services, representation and advice on legal issues confronting the Tribal Government, its entities and enterprises; provide guidance and assistance to Tribal Government departments; and provide limited service to tribal members in matters relating to tribal status.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide legal advice and assistance to the Tribal Council on legal issues as needed.
- Enhance and protect the Tribes sovereignty, jurisdiction, and authority.
- Provide a broad range of legal services such as, but not limited to contract law, employment law, administrative law, tribal jurisdiction, environmental law, cultural resource preservation, and child welfare.
- Representation in administrative proceedings.
- Work with the General Counsel and Tribal Council, to draft Tribal legislation, ordinances, resolutions, administrative rules and regulations and other documents and instruments.
- Advise tribal government environmental, finance, fire, law enforcement, water departments and other governmental departments as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Must possess Juris Doctor Degree from an ABA accredited law school.
- Must be a Member of the California state Bar and licensed to practice law in the state of California.
- Must have a minimum of 3-5 years experience in all aspects of American Indian law, with knowledge and experience in employment law, Intellectual Property, Indian Child Welfare Act, gaming law, contracts and litigation. Knowledge and experience in environmental and natural resources law.
- Tribal, State and Federal experience dealing with Tribal Cultural/Sacred Site protection issues.
- Strong written and oral advocacy skills required.
- This position must comply with the Pechanga Tribal Government’s Drug-Free Workplace Policy. This includes: pre-employment testing, post-accident or injury, and random testing.
- Must successfully pass a pre-employment background investigation.
BENEFITS: The Pechanga Band offers a comprehensive and competitive benefit package for all full-time employees. Benefits include the following:
- Retirement – 401(k) retirement plan with a generous employer match
- Health & Wellness Coverage – Medical, dental and vision coverage
- Life and Long Term Disability – $25,000 employer paid life and Long Term Disability
- Flexible Spending Accounts – Healthcare and Dependent care reimbursement accounts
- Supplemental Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
- Supplemental Coverage – Disability, Accident, Cancer, Life, and Hospital Confinement
- Legal Shield and Identity Shield
- Pet Insurance
- Education Reimbursement Opportunities – For pre-approved specific, job related education
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – Face-to-face counseling, Legal assistance, Financial assistance, ID recovery, Tobacco cessation, Dependent care and Daily living resources, and Crisis consultation
Download PDF job announcement: Associate General Counsel JA 2-16-2018
COMPLETE JOB DESCRIPTION AND APPLICATIONS ARE AVAILABLE AT:
PECHANGA GOVERNMENT CENTER
12705 PECHANGA ROAD TEMECULA, CA 92592