Camp Verde, AZ
The Staff Attorney investigates, evaluates and defends juveniles and adults accused of violating the criminal laws of the Yavapai-Apache Nation. The Staff Attorney also represents parents in dependency and neglect proceedings, including Indian Child Welfare proceedings, before tribal and state courts. The Staff Attorney will perform the duties and responsibilities of the position in an ethical manner and assure that justice is upheld according to the laws and custom of the Yavapai-Apache Nation.
- Must possess a Law Degree from an ABA accredited law school within 30 days.
- Must be licensed to practice law in Arizona and in good standing within 3 months.
- Relevant experience in Criminal Law preferred.
- High level of written and oral communication skills and superior ability to advocate and persuade.
- Superior organizational skills and ability to handle significant number of active matters simultaneously
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and ability to work in a supportive and professional matter with other attorneys, support staff and other agencies
- Enthusiasm for the law and for public service
- Comfortable interviewing and working with individuals who have experienced trauma, are in crisis, or who struggle with mental illness and/or substance abuse or addiction
- Ability to interact constructively with individuals in highly emotional and adversarial situations
- Comfortable speaking in public to judges or juries and with various segments of the public
- Thorough knowledge of the rules of evidence, Constitutional law and Criminal law and Procedure and ability to competently apply those rules.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and to handle unexpected problems efficiently.
- Strong work ethic
- Outgoing, compassionate and helpful personality
- Must possess a valid state-issued driver’s license and be insurable with the Nation’s insurance carrier, and maintain insurability of the same.
How to apply: Please submit your resume and application to:
Yavapai-Apache Nation / Human Resources
2400 W. Datsi / Camp Verde, AZ 86322
P: 928-567-1062 / Fax: 928-567-1064
For full job description and application information, click the following link: http://www.yavapai-apache.org/administration/employment/