San Juan Southern Paiute Tribe
Tuba City, AZ
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
The Judge for the San Juan Southern Paiute Tribal Court is responsible for the fair and impartial administration of justice for all cases and controversies within the jurisdiction of the San Juan Southern Paiute Tribe. The Tribal Judge shall administer all cases and controversies arising in law or equity under the Constitution of the San Juan Southern Paiute Tribe, and may assign cases and other matters to lower courts of special jurisdiction, such as traditional dispute resolution, as the Tribal Council establishes in accordance with the Constitution.
Responsibilities will also include establishing and overseeing the administrative operations of the Tribal Court and providing assistance and recommendations to the Tribe to seek out and secure funding to support Tribal Court operations. Additional duties and responsibilities may include the development of Tribal Court rules of procedure, Tribal ordinances and Tribal codes for approval by the Tribal Council.
• Must possess a Juris Doctorate from an ABA accredited law school.
• Must be a member in good standing of the bar of any state.
• Must have at least 3-years of experience or practice in the field of federal Indian law and have demonstrated experience with the concepts of Tribal law and the principles of Tribal sovereignty and jurisdiction.
• Must not have been convicted of a felony or a crime involving dishonesty or have been disbarred in any jurisdiction.
• Must be able to pass a thorough background investigation.
• Must be able to travel and hold hearings both in person in Tuba City, Arizona, and telephonically as necessary to efficiently and effectively administer justice.
• Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug screening.
• Must have a sincere interest in assisting the Tribe to develop its Tribal Court and administer justice in a fair and impartial manner.
Applicants may be asked to participate in an interview with the Tribal Council and General Counsel of the San Juan Southern Paiute Tribe to establish whether he or she meets minimum qualifications, determine suitability for the position, and negotiate the terms and scope of work for the appointment.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, references and writing sample on or before to:
SAN JUAN SOUTHERN PAIUTE TRIBE
ATTN: Judicial Position
P.O. Box 2950
Tuba City, AZ 86045
With a copy to the Tribe’s General Counsel:
MONTGOMERY & INTERPRETER, PLC
ATTN: Robyn L. Interpreter, Esq.
3301 E. Thunderbird Rd.
Phoenix, AZ 85032
To download full job description and application information, click here: SJSPT Tribal Judge Position Announcement