Employer: Montana Legal Services Association
Title: Staff Attorney, Indian Law Practice Group
Description: This full-time Staff Attorney position will provide poverty law services to Native American clients, primarily on the Northern Cheyenne and Crow Reservations. Services provided will range from brief counsel and advice, to more extended legal representation. Position will require regular travel to the reservations being served, and occasional travel throughout Montana. This position will handle all aspects of legal representation including client contact, pleading preparation, research, file maintenance, and hearing and trial work. The staff attorney will also participate in MLSA’s statewide initiatives, implement grant and contract requirements through casework and other activities, and foster pro bono involvement with the private bar.
• Interviewing, meeting with, advising, and representing eligible clients on civil matters.
• Developing and maintaining specialized knowledge of the legal needs of Native American clients, and of general poverty law issues.
• Providing legal services to clients ranging from brief counsel and advice, to more extended representation on core legal issues affecting MLSA clients.
• As needed, providing legal representation to clients in criminal matters in Tribal Court.
• Composing correspondence, pleadings and other documents.
• Researching the law and preparing memoranda.
• Working with other MLSA staff to recruit, train and support pro bono attorneys when appropriate.
• Participating in MLSA’s statewide initiatives and impact work, and implementing grant and contract requirements through casework.
• Other duties as assigned by the Supervising Attorney or MLSA Management.
• Law Degree and current license to practice law in Montana, or willingness to become licensed.
• License to practice in the Crow and Northern Cheyenne Tribal Courts, or willingness to become licensed.
• Prior legal services experience preferred, particularly experience working with Native American clients.
• A willingness to assume a varied case load.
• An understanding of the civil legal needs of low-income people, including the unique needs of populations that experience particular barriers to access to justice systems.
• Knowledge of substantive legal areas affecting low income people.
• Ability to effectively communicate, to motivate others, and to work collaboratively with diverse groups of people with varying perspectives, and experience and expertise.
• Ability and willingness to learn and integrate new technologies and methodologies to efficiently perform responsibilities.
• A willingness to establish and maintain effective relationships with clients, the public, judges, court personnel and the bar.
• Ability and willingness to work cooperatively and collegially within a decentralized statewide law firm.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Ability to work independently in a deadline-oriented environment.
• A “can do” attitude and a willingness to pitch in where needed.
• Strong commitment to insuring equal access to justice.
• Proficient at the use of technology, including, but not limited to, word processing, spreadsheets, internet-based programs and computer-based legal research.
• Ability to travel within the state of Montana, occasionally overnight.
The Montana Legal Services Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Geographic Preference: West (CA, HI, NV, UT, CO, MT, WY)
Position Type: Attorney
Practice Area(s): All Practice Areas, Indian/Native American
Desired Class Level(s): RECENT GRADS, Alum 0-3 yrs exp, Alum 4-6 yrs exp
Compensation Type: Annually
Compensation Details: $45,000 and up DOE. MLSA offers an attractive benefits package, including health, dental, vision, and life insurance, retirement and educational loan repayment
For full description, click here: http://www.mtlsa.org/get-involved/careers/