Date: 10/16/2009 9:54:21 AM
Contact: Patricia De La Cruz-Lynas
Employer: California Indian Legal Services
Address1: 609 S. Escondido Blvd
CityStateZip: Escondido, CA 92025
JobTitle: Staff Attorney – Eureka Office
Salary: Competitive salary D.O.E full family/partner medical and dental benefits, LTD, life insurance, generous leave policy and potential for annual performance bonus.
Hours: Full Time
Description: Staff attorney will work with Indian individuals, families, organizations and tribal governments in all areas of Federal Indian law, including but not limited to, advising on issues involving jurisdiction, tax, estate planning, trust assets, environmental law, cultural resource protection, Indian education, natural resource development, tribal governance, tribal justice systems, employment, and the Indian Child Welfare Act. Responsibilities may range from the provision of brief counsel and services to low income Indian individuals to representing individuals and tribes in state and federal court, negotiating contracts, advising tribal clients and developing and implementing constitutions, codes, and policies for tribal clients.
Experience: Graduate,Current Bar Members
Submit: Resume,Cover Letter,Writing Sample
SubmitOther: * J.D. degree with exceptional academic achievement.
* Licensed to practice in California.
* Demonstrated knowledge of Federal Indian law with a minimum of three years experience practicing law.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills.
* A willingness to assume a varied caseload.
* Strong work ethic and able to work nights and weekends when many tribal councils meet.
* Ability to travel overnight, valid driver?s license.
* A demonstrated commitment to providing high quality legal services for Indian people.
The following qualifications are desirable but not absolutely required:
* Experience working with Indian individuals or tribes.
* Prior legal services experience.