Band of Pomo Indians
The Coyote Valley Band of Pomo Indians is seeking a legal fellow that will assist the General Counsel with the provision of legal services to the Tribe, including the Tribal Council and various Tribal departments. The Tribe is willing to assist the successful applicant in obtaining student loan forgiveness through any available public service debt elimination programs.
The applicant must possess a Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school, and must have graduated within the last five years. The applicant must also be willing to take the California Bar exam and pass such exam within six (6) months of hire. The applicant must also have the ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends, and holidays. The ideal candidate would have taken Indian Law classes, or have practiced in the Indian Law field. The candidate must have excellent written and oral communication skills, as well legal analysis and research
1. Perform related duties as determined by the Tribal Council, General Counsel, and Tribal Administrator.
2. Interpret and apply broad organizational policies and objectives into defined programs or services.
3. Appear in matters as assigned involving the Tribe in state, Tribal or federal court.
4. Work with outside specialists and consultants.
5. Attend required meetings and trainings.
6. Cultivate and maintain relations with Coyote Valley Tribal Court staff, Bureau of Indian Affairs, United States Attorney, Mendocino County District Attorney, Mendocino County Sheriff, Ukiah police department and contracted attorneys.
How to Apply:
Please email your resume, a cover letter, and two writing samples to Paul Fernandez at email@example.com. Please include “Coyote Valley Legal Fellowship” in the subject line of the email. At least one of the writing samples should be in the nature of a legal memorandum or scholarly legal article. They also must be written solely by the applicant. Applicants will not be considered without a cover letter and writing samples.
1. The Tribe is willing to assist the successful applicant in obtaining student loan forgiveness through any available public service debt elimination programs.
2. Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified members of the Coyote Valley of Pomo Indian Tribe or qualified Native American candidates in accordance with the Indian Preference Act (Title 2, U. S Code). Coyote Valley of Pomo Indian Tribe and its enterprises are committed to achieving full equal opportunity without discrimination based on race, religion, color, sex, national origin, politics, marital status, physical disability, age or sexual orientation.
3. Must be sensitive to the needs of the Indian community, their culture and traditions.
4. Salary is negotiable based on experience.
For job announcement, click here.