Department: Public Defender’s Office
Position: Public Defender
Reports To: Tribal Council
Salary: D O E
Closing Date: Open until Filled
Responsibilities include representation of Tribal member adults and juveniles, in criminal actions before the Tribal Court. The Public Defender carries a full adult criminal caseload in Tribal Court and may also handle juvenile proceedings (Child Offender (CO) and Child-in-Need of Care (CNC) cases) under the Tribesâ€™ Domestic Relations Code in some instances; the Public Defender may also be called on to take civil conflict cases referred by the Tribesâ€™ Legal Aid Office.
The Public Defender will also be responsible for management of the Public Defenderâ€™s Office and staff including administrative and budgeting duties and supervision of staff in representing and counseling eligible Tribal Members.
Education & Experience Requirements:
1. Graduate from an ABA accredited law school
2. Be admitted to Tribal, State or Federal Bar or pending admission preferred.
3. Must have knowledge and experience working with principles of Federal Indian Law, Tribal Law and/or administrative law.
4. Applicant should have demonstrable familiarity with criminal law and procedure along with concern and interest in Indian Affairs.
5. Applicant must have ability to work cooperatively with other officers and attorneys of the court, even in adversarial relationships.
6. Dependable, punctual and able to communicate in a professional and pleasant manner.
7. Pre-employment drug screening is required.
8. Employees may be required to submit to fingerprinting and criminal background check.
For Employment Application visit: http://critonline.com
Submit completed application to: CRIT Human Resource Department
26600 Mohave Road
Parker, Arizona 85344
Under the Title VII of the Civil Rights Act Sections 701(b) and 703(i) explicitly exempts from coverage the preferential employment of Indian-by-Indian Tribes. Therefore, C.R.I.T. acknowledges and extends preferential treatment to enrolled C.R.I.T. members who qualify toward all employment opportunities otherwise; C.R.I.T. does not discriminate against employees or applicants based on race, color, sex, religion ornational origin.
Health and Life Insurance, Paid Holidays, Sick and Annual Leave and Pension Plan. Pre-employment drug screening is required.