POSITION OPENING DATE: 11-‐5-‐2014 POSITION CLOSING DATE: 12-‐3-‐14
Job Title: Tribal Attorney
Department: Office of Tribal Atty.
Reports To: Sr. Tribal Attorney
Job Status: Exempt
Type: Full Time
At the direction of the Senior Attorney, The Tribal Attorney performs general legal work, including, but not limited to, general legal advice to the Nooksack Tribal Council and tribal departments and agencies, representation in other tribal, state, federal courts and hearings; code writing; and legal research.
MAJOR TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Represent and advise departments of the Nooksack Tribe and subordinate entities.
2. Draft, review, revise and act as consultant in regard to tribal legal codes and legislation.
3. Maintain effective working relationships with tribal officials, employees and the community.
4. Provide training to employees of the Nooksack Indian Tribe on legal issues.
5. Manage caseload; prepare cases for trial, including pretrial investigations, consultation with tribal law enforcement officers, other law enforcement agencies and witnesses; negotiation with opposing counsel.
6. Complete legal research and writing necessary for the preparation of complaints, petitions, motions, pleadings, and other court documents, and follow up on all assigned cases.
7. Maintain case and research files according to office systems and follow general office procedures.
8. Continue professional development, including continuing legal education and/or training in the areas of Indian law, criminal law, law enforcement, Indian Child Welfare Act, and other issues relevant to job duties.
Because of the Tribe’s commitment to community service and the well-‐ being of its members, each employee may be expected to perform a wide range of office and field duties from time to time. Such duties may or may not be related to regular responsibilities.
Indian Preference Policy applies to this and all positions with the Nooksack Indian Tribe.
The following qualifications are required for the incumbent be considered for the position.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING FOR POSITION:
Member in good standing of the Washington State Bar Association (“WSBA”).
Juris Doctor from and American Bar Association Accredited law school.
REQUIRED SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE/ABILITIES FOR POSITION:
Must demonstrate excellent legal research, writing and oral communication skills.
Must demonstrate excellent legal research, writing and oral communication skills. Ability to organize and maintain clear, concise, and accurate records, and follow office procedures.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with tribal officials, supervisor, fellow employees, tribal members and the general public.
Must be dependable, trustworthy, maintain confidentiality, and be able to work flexible hours when necessary.
REQUIRED CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Must pass alcohol/drug test at time of hire and periodically throughout employment.
Must pass criminal background check at time of hire and periodically thereafter.
Required Licenses or Certifications:
Must have and maintain throughout employment a valid Washington State Driver’s
License and meet the insurability requirements of the Tribe.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS (The physical demands described here are representative of
those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this
Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities, with or
without reasonable accommodation, to enable the employee to communicate
Sufficient vision or other powers of observation, with or without reasonable accommodation, to enable the employee to review a wide variety of materials in electronic or hard copy form;
Sufficient manual dexterity, with or without reasonable accommodation, to enable the employee to operate a personal computer, telephone, and other related equipment;
Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodating, to enable the employee to safely lift, move, or maneuver whatever may be necessary to successfully perform the duties of their position;
Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodation, to enable the employee to efficiently function in a general office environment.
DESIRED SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE/ABILITIES POSITION
The following qualifications are preferred/helpful for the incumbent who has these
skills/knowledge or abilities for this position.
Three years practicing law in relevant field preferred
Working knowledge and understanding of the Indian community and its people, including traditions and customs is preferred.