With the Tribe and its Constitutional government as the client, the General Counsel works under the primary supervision and direction of the Tribal Board. The General Counsel also provides legal services to the Tribal government’s Executive Director for operational direction consistent with the laws, budgets and policy directives enacted by the Tribal Council. The position entails performing a broad range of legal work for all departments and divisions of the Tribal government, as well as, appearing in Courts of the Tribal Court, Michigan State Courts and federal courts on behalf of the Tribe as authorized and directed.
Provide timely legal advice/counsel to, and draft legal opinions for, the Tribal Board, its subdivisions, instrumentalities, departments and various business entities on a broad range of legal issues.
- Prepare legal memoranda and conducts legal research as requested.
- Prepare drafts of resolutions, Tribal laws, regulations, and policies for Tribal Board’s approval.
- Works with Department Leaders to create policies/procedures to guide implementation of government functions and operations to assure compliance with applicable laws and conditions of grants, contracts and other agreements.
- Serves as the Director of the Tribe’s Legal Department, allocates work for the efficient operation of the Department and supervises the work of subordinate attorneys and legal support staff.
- Supervision of work performed by the Tribe’s outside/contract attorneys, and participation in such work, to help achieve successful completion of assigned work within budgetary constraints.
- Oversees the implementation of regulations and compliance by all Tribal departments with federal and state regulations for various functions of the government.
- Establish and maintain necessary professional relationships with Team Members, Tribal Members, Tribal Management and other Tribal Government Employers.
- Manage the delivery of legal services to all areas of the Tribal government, Enterprises, and Kewadin Casino’s to ensure services and functions are performed in a timely manner by appropriate personnel consistent with Tribal business needs.
- Prepares and manages the budget for the Legal Department of the Tribe.
- Represents the Tribe in negotiation and implementation of inter-governmental agreements with the United States, State of Michigan, local governments and their respective agencies and instrumentalities.
- At the request of the Tribal Board, attends public meetings of Tribal members to present and explain proposed or adopted actions of the Tribal Boardl and other instrumentalities of the Tribal government.
- Attend various community and programmatic events and meetings as needed to share information and support team’s work.
- Attend Tribal Board meetings, workgroups and prep sessions as requested to provide legal advice and support.
- Responsible for monitoring federal and state legislature affecting the Tribe.
- All other duties as assigned consistent with ethical limitations applicable to licensed attorneys.
For full job description, click here.
Apply online: www.saulttribe.com